Thursday, May 31, 2012

No fatness for Againstists

I have a long time Internet virtual friend, out in the rural parts of the Midwest who shares a habit of people watching and profiling.  He noted at convention how the Santorum people were fat and worse, couldn't carry themselves.  Now I have had plenty of moments of pathetic display of vitality and so forth, so I get the picture.

The Chronicles Crowd noted that in the 90s, the (right) libertarians were cheapskates, poorly dressed (lets assume bad teeth and so forth)

Those who remember the original JRC can testify as to what sort of Misesians, on the whole, showed up. They looked like refugees from the LP--as indeed many were--a group that Murray once characterized as an assortment of foul-balls and grifters. I used to know one prominent libertarian politico--I rather liked him--but he seemed to move around the country following a girlfriend who actually had a job. Then there were the strange people who came wearing old jeans and undershirts with holes in them--they always wanted a scholarship. Now, it is true, most ideologues are weird, and libertarians are only a little weirder than the average ultra-traditionalist, though I will say this about the monarchists and ultra-trads I have met: most of them bathe regularly and know what a necktie is for. They also don't always ruin conversations with their smug assumption of superiority. Near the end of his life, Rothbard made a beautiful speech in which he more or less tried to justify the mistakes of his life--running after one set of weirdos (libertarian, new left) after another--and declared that in joining with us, he had come home where he belonged. I'l try to dig this one up.  -- Dr. Fleming

But anyway, I will probably just skim the below article; the title on LRC struck me as being old school, anti-PC, the stuff most of us grew up on before the recent troubles:

The Disappearance of the Fat Libertarian

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment